Tuesday, August 30, 2011

cook like a sandanista!

I got a sore throat and 2 hurting ears.  I also have a cough.  ugh!  I have decided to not go the pharmacy and get an injection, that a friend administers, to overload with antibiodics.  I have been putting garlic oil in my ear, and drinking tea of manzanilla with honey and lime.  Then my cousin Vicki reccomended oregano tea, and that seemed to help quite a bit.

I have been trying to get certain recipes from the family here and I made one tamal asado, baked tamal, and it turned out like a flat tire.  It was black and had a hole in the center and fell down on one side.  So this was the last attempt to make it.  I was sneezing and had a runny nose, so I put on this hat and handkerchief to help contain the germs to me.  Vicki said she did not want to cook with a Sandanista!  My mom couldn't stop laughing and got some nice pics. 








the award winning recipe of tamal asado:
4 cups masa for tamales
8 oz queso fresco-farmer's cheese
1 c sour cream
1 bar of butter
1 c water
4 c buttermilk
3 c sugar
1 TBLP vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix masa, cheese, sour cream and softened butter in a large saucepan.  Add water, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla and salt.  Cook on stove on medium heat for about 25 minutes, until the mixture pulls away from the side and the spoon stands up straight in the pan.  Put in greased pan and place in preheated 375 degree oven on the lower rack for 45 minutes, until a knife swipe, comes out clean,  then on an higher rack for 15 minutes to brown top.  Turn stove off and allow to cool. Serve cold.  Can add 1/2 to 1 cup raisins also to mixture before cooking on stove.

This is my cousin Vicki's recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment